How to Increase Retail Sales in 2023
Figuring out how to increase retail sales when your business is going through a plateau or a downfall can become challenging. Sometimes the fault is in our stars, e.g., when you struggle to mitigate the detrimental consequences of economic recession, and sometimes you need to detect the inherent flaws of your action plan. Anyway, in case you withhold no effort, but your profits persistently exhibit no intention of going up, here are 10 evident yet groundbreaking ways to increase sales in retail.
How to Increase Retail Store Sales
Of course, this journey is not easy, it requires dedication, strategic thinking, a capable team, creativity, and resources. Yet, this route is suitable for everyone preoccupied with discovering new ways to increase retail sales. So, let’s take the first step.
Way #1. Don’t Wander, Draw a Road Map
You might let many pitfalls, obstacles, and predicaments unravel as you go, but it is better to prepare in advance. Hence, if you prefer to avoid unnecessary entanglement or protraction, you have to:
- Set up viable goals.
- Brainstorm ideas, tactics, and tools.
- Implement your plan gradually.
Do not rush into immediate action, be thorough with your research. Otherwise, you risk falling victim to your unattainable expectations. Disappointment can be frustrating and discouraging, while success, even if it is a small improvement, can become a strong motive to move forward.
Way #2. Take a Walk in Customers’ Shoes
You might try to recreate a plot of What Women Want and take a walk in the shoes from your store, but there are less drastic methods to see yourself from a buyer’s perspective. Studying and practicing consumer empathy should be your fundamental approach to solving the mystery of how to increase retail sales because it will help you uncover what attracts and repulses your clientele. So, which paths can you take to get an insight into shoppers’ experiences:
- Gather feedback and monitor reviews on your website, social media, forums, and other platforms.
- Leave a questionnaire or a feedback form in your store, so people can express their gratitude, complain, or share their thoughts.
- Conduct A/B testing.
Way #3. Reinvent Your Communication
You know about consumer empathy and can successfully implement it in your business routine. You can anticipate what customers demand regarding product enhancement and how they wish to be treated. Thus, it is time for you to train your staff to be capable of consulting, assisting, supporting, making suggestions, and consoling buyers with sincere compassion and being knowledgeable professionals in their areas of expertise.
The techniques of handling empathetic vis-à-vis conversations might be hard to master, but at least they are well-known. On the other hand, making online shoppers feel welcome, supported, and appreciated might be perceived by many retailers as a mission impossible. However, contemporary technology evolved immensely in providing practical means for social interactions. Hence, here are some original takes on how to facilitate your digital communication and increase retail sales:
- Aside from the FAQ section and chatbot, install a live chat feature.
- Check that your customer service is easy to reach and swift to respond to.
- Publish captivating and SEO-optimized content on your website and social networks.
- React to the mentions of your product, feedback, or reviews by sharing and commenting on social media, your site, or other platforms.
- Send emails to present your new items and services, offer discounts, and remind them about things they like. Furthermore, you can use messengers to do all this, allowing people to contact you instantly.
- Popups might not be useful when the users have already left, but when it comes to approaching them on-site, they are a real treasure. Use Claspo to create pop-up messages that present shoppers with welcome discounts, limited-time offers, personal recommendations, upcoming sales announcements, and many other things.
Way #4. Turn Consumers Into Your Allies
Devoted clients will be your staunchest supporters when the rainy days come, and your sales start feeling under the weather. That is why it is pivotal to exert every effort to encourage customers' commitment to your brand by:
- Creating a loyalty discount program that is easy to join and provides tangible benefits.
- Rewarding visitors for buying using upselling techniques. In-store, you have salespeople or assistants to render “1+1=3” deals or a discount for purchasing now, while on the website, you can use popups to convey these offers. Claspo can help you craft them and increase retail sales with a couple clicks.
- Being relatable and upfront. Posting real-life photos, videos, and stories about your company, product, or staff on social media and websites can make users respect you, sympathize with you, or prove that you are trustworthy.
- Supporting a social or environmental cause. You do not have to pursue an agenda, you can make donations, participate in charitable events, or incorporate sustainable practices that coincide with your stance to contribute to a noble cause and convert purpose-driven customers into brand advocates.
Way #5. Know Your Worth
As the captain, you risk sinking the ship if you are not in control or lose sight of the unfolding events. Therefore, you need to be constantly aware of these key aspects of your business to boost e-commerce sales:
- Inventory (e.g., so you won’t run out of Christmas sweaters in the middle of the holiday season);
- Items that infatuate shoppers and the ones that are outdated or failed to appeal to the audience;
- Budget (it is hard to spend money on a marketing campaign if you do not have any);
- Prices (they need to be affordable but not detrimental to your income);
- Strengths you can use for advertisement and shortcomings that call for mending.
- Features that make you stand out from competitors (quality materials, speed delivery, wide product selection, etc.).
Way #6. Combine Conventional Advertising and Modern Technologies
How to increase sales in retail? Don't give up on technology. Alongside business cards, brochures, flyers, billboards, and press releases, embrace the perks of:
- Facebook Ads Manager & Google Ads;
- Blogs and Social Media (you can combine producing SEO-optimized content with asking bloggers or influencers to promote your company);
- Emails and retargeting.
Way #7. Temp Shoppers to Buy More
Indulging customers’ impulse shopping and upselling them with complementary items can become a huge source of your revenue when you approach it wisely:
- Do not try to sell additional items if you see that the person does not have time or has a limited budget.
- Ensure that extra products or services do not increase the total cost significantly.
- Place small things near the checkout area, so buyers can find matching earrings for the dress, remember that they wanted pocket pack tissues, or decide that they need an adapter for the tool.
- Insert a special section with goods and services that supplement the items the client intends to purchase.
Of course, financial incentives matter greatly too. So, do not hesitate to:
- Offer discounts and coupons;
- Give a heads-up about your major sales.
Way #8. Go Virtual
Most Internet users had experience with online shopping before the pandemic started. But since the lockdown forced us to stay home, e-commerce invaded our lives and became an inherent part of our daily routine. Essentially, you can offer an entirely virtual experience when visitors purchase things online and get packages delivered to their doorsteps. However, with more people getting accustomed to hybrid shopping, you can also incorporate practices that are fast, convenient, and allow consumers to forget about tormenting standing in line:
- Enable buy online, pick-up in-store (BOPIS) options;
- Install self-checkout (SCO) machines.
Naturally, shoppers can only benefit from buying things online if they can access your website or application. Therefore, make sure that your policy is inclusive to all platforms and devices:
- Desktop, tablet, and mobile versions are equally accessible, usable, and easy to navigate.
- People can effortlessly download and use your App Store and Google Play applications.
Way #9. Turn Your Display Into an Eye Candy
If you are wondering how to increase sales in retail, here are some helpful tips for enamoring your potential clients or tickling their perception and aesthetic taste to increase retail sales:
- Start the display with your best-selling items, so people can see them before entering the premises.
- Keep in mind that color palette and lighting matter. Create displays with similar color schemes, or highlight certain objects with bright colors. Put hit products and things on sale in the spotlight (literally and figuratively).
- Decorate the place. Design a Harry Potter stand with action figures to feel your bookstore with magic, or add flowers and a wicker basket to one of the bicycles to relive the atmosphere of a carefree summer ride.
- Make sure your website has an elegant, functional design and looks like something other than a flashy country fair. Create separate sections for popular goods and sales.
- Upload high-quality pictures and videos of the product surrounded by other objects or worn by models, so people can vividly imagine utilizing or trying it on.
- The page elements should not steal attention from a call-to-action button.
Way #10. Join Team “Creativity”
If you are out of ideas on how to increase retail sales, try being original:
- Invent or search for occasions to celebrate. Indeed, a sale on account of cute and funny socks or a wine tasting dedicated to the Global Drink Wine Day will melt visitors’ hearts.
- Think out of the box (or out of the walls, in that case) and design a display/sign outside. It does not have to be complicated; place counterfeit glasses and a bottle of wine with a “Why not?” label or draw a sign that says: “There is no problem that cannot be solved by chocolate.”
- Draw inspiration from your surroundings. Capture products, clients, and work environments and share them on social media.
- Learn more about ways to increase sales in retail from the video.
Causes of Low Retail Sales
1. The range is not updated
The store owner can keep the entire assortment the same every month: demand for some goods has stayed the same for decades, while others will certainly be purchased someday. But the client needs the confidence that when he comes to his favorite store again, he will find some new product, even if he does not like it.
One of the best ways to increase sales in retail is to change 5% of the entire assortment every month. But if the percentage is lower, regular customers will notice stagnation for themselves.
2. Salespeople Mistakes
The simple truth is that the consumer buys products not in a store or from a manufacturer but from a person. And if this person is not interested in selling the product, cannot explain its merits in detail, and cannot answer the usual questions, retail sales will slowly fall.
And when the team consists of professionals, but there is one “weak link,” the number of clients inevitably decreases, and even working out objections does not save the situation.
3. Marketing Policy Mistakes
The seller should refrain from deceiving and confusing the client, making him uncomfortable. It doesn't increase sales. What is the salesman not allowed to do?
- Write one amount on the price tag, and punch another on the check.
- Leave a banner with an announcement about a promotion that has already ended.
How to Increase Sales in Retail And Get Loyal Clients
Experiencing stagnation or a recession can be daunting. Sometimes you and all the marketing analysts have finally run out of suggestions on how to increase small business sales.
Still, do not get into a panic. Open this “first aid kit” guide and try adjusting your sales/marketing strategy, exhibiting more consumer empathy, streamlining your communication, optimizing the online shopping experience, or reimagining the store’s display. Indeed, you will find your unique answer to how to increase retail sales.